The 5 star Phoenicia Hotel was built to be Malta's answer to the Grand Hotels found in the capitals of Europe. The hotel was built in 1939, but because of the outbreak of the Second World War, the hotel was not officially opened until 1947. Since then it has been a popular destination for everybody from royalty to the stars of stage and screen.
The Phoenicia Hotel is located just outside Valletta's Porta Reale. It stands in 7½ acres of beautifully tended mature grounds and is with walking distance of Malta's political, commercial and financial centres, as well as the major historical attractions of Valletta. It is also very handy for buses to the rest of the island.
The Phoenicia Hotel was designed by the architect A.M.B. Binnie to contrast but be in keeping with the historical architecture of Valletta. The interior of the hotel is enhanced by the works of many of Malta's more important artists, and forms an important repository of recent Maltese culture.
The last complete refurbishment of the Phoenicia Hotel was completed in 1993. Since 2007 the hotel has been undergoing a phased refurbishment programme. This has led to a complete refurbishment of all of the restaurants and bars on the ground floor, the lifts, the Ballroom and half the bedrooms.
Phoenicia Hotel Accommodation
The rooms in the Phoenicia Hotel are all spacious and airy, making the most of the natural light. All the rooms have air-conditioning, en suite bathrooms with bath tub and separate showers, cable television, hairdryer, mini bar, direct dial telephone, internet access, voicemail, in-room safe, tea & coffee making facilities and a trouser press. Most room types have a choice of double or twin beds. All the rooms on the third and fourth floors are non-smoking, whilst both smoking and non-smoking rooms are available in rooms on the first and second floors.
There are several different types of room:
- The 38 Classic Rooms with city views are all located on the first and second floors. They are furnished with Lloyd Loom furniture, which compliments the tiled floors. In addition to the standard features they have double French window.
- The 19 Classic Room Pluses are located on the third and fourth floor, and hence have better views. These were refurbished in 2009.
- The 16 Superior Rooms have balconies which overlook the city and are located on the first and second floors. They again have tiled floors and are furnished with Lloyd Loom furniture.
- The 31 Deluxe harbour view rooms are located on all floors. Those on the first and second floors have Lloyd Loom furniture and balconies, where as those on the higher floors were refurbished in 2009.
- The 24 Executive rooms are located on the third and fourth floor. They are oriented at the guest who is on business with writing desk, complimentary broad band, daily supply of mineral water, daily local newspaper and shoe shine. The Executive Rooms on the fourth floor have French doors. All of them were refurbished in 2009.
- There are 2 Superior Suites with city views and 6 Executive Suites with harbour views. These both have a separate lounge. This is spacious and decorated with rich fabrics and stylish furniture. The bedrooms are furnished with a modern interpretation of a four poster bed. Both rooms are equipped with large televisions. The en suite bathroom is decorated with floor to ceiling marble and is fitted with a walk-in shower.
Phoenicia Hotel Restaurants and Bars
There are two restaurants in the Phoenicia Hotel:
There is a choice of venues for a drink or a snack
- Phoenix Restaurant This is the Phoenicia Hotel's main restaurant and is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner (and is where guest on meals inclusive tariffs eat). It is very well regarded restaurant: in 2010 it received both a Fine Dining Award and an award for consistency from the Define(ly) Good Guide, a local restaurant guide. It has an elegant, warm and informal atmosphere, and overlooks Marsamxett harbour. The menu is a combination of French cuisine, along with lighter dishes, which make use of fresh regional ingredients. Breakfast consists of a hot and cold buffet. Lunch provides a choice of an antipasti buffet, along with Table d'Hôte and à la Carte menus. On Sundays, there is a special Sunday lunch buffet, accompanied by live music. There is a choice between the Table d'Hôte and à la Carte menus for dinner, along with a Maltese/Mediterranean buffet on Wednesdays. The latter is also accompanied by live music.
- Pegasus Brasserie The atmosphere in the Pegasus Restaurant is informal and contemporary. It is open for dinner, serving pastas plus a range of meat, chicken and fish dishes à la carte.
- Club Bar Not only are the gins pink, but the Club Bar reminds you of a time when a significant fraction of the map still was. As well as serving virtually any alcoholic beverage that can be imagined, the bar also serves a range of light meals and snacks. There is live music on the terrace every Saturday.
- Palm Court Lounge A welcome respite from the heat of the Maltese Sun, the Palm Court Lounge provides a stylish oasis of peace and elegance at the heart of the Phoenicia Hotel. Whether it be for morning coffee, afternoon tea or a cocktail or two before dinner, the Palm Court Lounge is the place to be.
- The Bastion Pool Bar Built into the Valletta Bastion, the Bastion Pool Bar is the ideal place to congregate around on a warm summer afternoon. Enjoy views of the harbour or the Valletta skyline whilst sipping an ice-cold cocktail or sampling something from the snack menu.
Phoenicia Hotel Facilities
The Bastion Pool Deck of the Phoenicia Hotel is located, as it names suggests, next to one of the Bastions in Valletta's city wall. It provides an island of tranquility away from the hustle and bustle of Valletta to while away a long, hot summers day.
Surrounding the pool are 7½ acres of mature garden. Protected from the worst of the Sun and wind by the high walls of Valletta, a range of different plants have been established over the previous more than 60 years. Whenever you visit, the gardens are always a delight.
The Phoenicia Hotel has its own Spa. The highly qualified therapists can provide a variety of different holistic treatments.
The hotel provides a 24-hour Front Desk and Concierge service, a hair dressing salon, a laundry service, a jewellers/gift shop, parking, including valet parking and a babysitting service. As well as broad band in the rooms, there is complimentary Wi-Fi internet access in the Palm Court Lounge and the business centre and meeting rooms have internet access.